How do I create a Google My Business account?
Google My Business (GMB) is a listing service that manages your online presence across Google. You’ll sync your GMB listing with your ZipBooks account so that we can help you manage multiple listings with one location and adhere to best practices that will benefit your business.
We help our Growth customers keep listings up-to-date to improve SEO. Updating locations, contact information and hours within ZipBooks will automatically transfer to GMB, making it easy for prospective customers to find you. Current listings appear at the top of Google’s search results (including Google Maps and Reviews).
A current GMB profile also helps to build critical social proof–customers can easily find your location, view product photos, and peruse customer reviews.
What are the steps for creating an account?
- Go to google.com/business and click “Manage now”
- Sign in or create a Google Account
- Enter the name of your business
- Enter your street address
- You will be required to list an address. If your only current address is your home, you have the option to select “Hide my address (it’s not a store).”
- You can also select “I deliver goods and services” to indicate that you don’t have a storefront. You will then be prompted to identify a Delivery area.
- You may be asked to drag the Google Map Marker to your exact location.
- Select a business category
- Enter contact information: a phone number or website URL (optional)
- Finish and verify your business
How do I verify my business?
Google strongly recommends verifying your business—and so do we. According to Google, verified businesses are twice as likely to be considered reputable by users.
If you are not ready to verify your business when you initially create your listing, you can select “Try a different method” and then “Later.”
The most common GMB verification method is receiving a postcard at your business address. To request Postcard Verification:
- Sign into your Google My Business Account
- Make sure your business address is correct
- Add a contact name to your address (optional)
- Click “Mail”
- When you receive the postcard (in approximately 5-7 days), you will see a unique verification code
- Select “Verify Now”
- Enter the five-digit verification code in the “Code” field
- Click “Submit”
Other Verification Options
- Phone verification: Receive verification code by text
- Email verification: Receive verification code by email
- Instant verification: Verify with your Google Search Console account
- Bulk verification: If you operate more than 10 locations and you’re not a service business, select “Chain” to verify your locations
How can I improve my Google My Business ranking?
ZipBooks helps you improve your GMB profile by following SEO best practices. We’ll show you how to improve your ranking on Google Search and optimize your GMB profile, by encouraging you to include every possible detail:
- Enter complete data
- Physical address
- Phone number
- Website URL
- Attributes (e.g. “free wifi”)
- Verify your location
- Keep your hours accurate (holidays, etc.)
- Manage and respond to reviews
- Add photos of your business
- Profile photo
- Employees at work
- Food and drink
- Common areas
- Consider adding videos
- Monitor Q&A (pin top Qs to the top)
- Update regularly!
How do I update my Google My Business profile?
To keep customers informed and improve SEO, regularly update your information on Google My Business. You’re unlikely to get a positive review if your customer can’t find you:
- Log into your GMB dashboard
- Click “Info”
- Click the Pencil next to the field you’d like to edit
- Once you’ve made the change, click “Apply”
- Do I have to publicly list my location? No, you have the option to “Hide my address,” but we highly recommend acquiring an address that you can list, even if you don’t have a storefront. This will improve your SEO and your credibility.
- What do I do if there is a listing for an old business at my current location? Do not attempt to claim the old listing. Instead, suggest an edit to have it marked as closed. Then, create a new Google My Business listing for your own business.
- What if I already use Google Places for Business? If you already used Google Places or Google+, your account should automatically be upgraded to a GMB account.
- Do I need Google My Business if I already have a website? Your GMB listing is separate from your website, though you can (and should) link to your website through your GMB profile. Creating a Google My Business listing complements what you’re already doing by adding a public listing and local visibility.
- What other features are available through Google My Business? GMB also offers free website creation, booking opportunities and search insights. If you are already using our growth platform, you will see a more comprehensive overview of review insights on your ZipBooks dashboard.