How do I create a general journal?
A General Journal is basically a list of every transaction you’ve recorded, and how it affects each category in your chart of accounts.
Here’s how to view yours:
- Log in to ZipBooks and click on Reports at the top of the screen.
- In the Accounting and Tax section, click on General Journal.
- Add Tags to include only certain transactions.
- Choose Start and End Dates, and decide whether you’d like a Simple or Detailed report. (Simple includes basic details like the amount of a transaction and the accounts it affected. Detailed includes any memos and tags you added on the transaction.)
- Click the blue Generate button.
Voila! A list of transactions and their respective debits and credits. Your accountant will thank you!