How do I bill certain expenses to my customers?
When you have billable expenses, ZipBooks makes it easy to add them to a customer’s invoice, so you’re sure to keep track of every penny you’re owed. When you set up a Recurring Invoice, unbilled time and expenses are automatically imported.
Here’s how to add billable expenses to regular invoices:
- Sign in to ZipBooks and click on Transactions at the top of your screen.
- Scroll down until you find the transaction you’re looking for, or filter your list to find it more quickly.
- Click on the transaction and click the gray Edit or Split button. The Edit Transaction window will appear.
- In the Pass-through to Customer field type in the customer you need to bill this expense to.
- Click the blue Done button.
- Click the blue Save button.
Now, right from your transaction list, you’ll see that this transaction has been marked as a billable expense, and who you billed it to.
To pull this expense onto your customer’s invoice:
- Click on Invoices at the top of the screen.
- Find that customer’s current invoice in the list and click on it, or create a new invoice.
- Click the gray Edit button at the top of the invoice (if it’s an existing invoice).
- Click on the Import unbilled time/expenses to invoice button. (This button will only appear if ZipBooks sees that this customer has time entries or expenses assigned to them.)
- The Add to Invoice window will open. Decide the level of detail you’d like to include, and the time period during which you want expenses and time included.
- Check the boxes next to items you want to appear on the invoice, and the projects you want to include.
- Make sure the Include Unbilled Expenses box is checked.
- Click the blue Add Line Items Now button.
The expense you marked as billable will now show up on this invoice.