How do I record the transfer of money between bank accounts?
It’s common for business owners to use multiple bank accounts to keep track of all their transactions. You may have checking accounts for different business channels, and savings accounts to go along with them. ZipBooks gives you an easy way to keep track of where you’re moving your money.
- Log in to ZipBooks and click on Transactions at the top of your screen.
- Click on the round green ‘+’ button at the top right corner of your list of transactions. Four colored buttons will appear.
- Click on the blue Transfer button and the Add Transfer window will slide in.
- Enter the Amount you’ll be transferring, the Account it’s coming from, and the Date it posted as withdrawn from that account.
- Enter the Account it’s going to, and the Date it posted to that account.
- In the Additional Details section, add a Name to your transaction, and any Tags and Notes that apply.
- To upload supporting documents, click on the small green ‘+’ button, or find them in your computer files, and drag them into the ‘Drop to upload’ box.
- Click the blue Save button.
That’s it! Your transfer will reflect in both accounts. If your accounts are linked to ZipBooks, this transfer will show up automatically.
Here’s how to link the transactions, to show that the money went from one account to the other:
- In your transactions list, find the transaction showing the money being withdrawn from one account. Click the small box on the left side of the line. A checkmark will appear in the box.
- Find the transaction (in the same list) showing a deposit to the other account. Click the small checkmark box.
- Click the blue Match button at the top of the transactions list.
These transactions will now be linked, and each will have a blue arrow pointing to the account the money was transferred to or from.