How do I record partial payment of an invoice?
When a customer pays only a portion of an invoice total, ZipBooks gives you an easy way to keep track, so you know what is still owing.
Here’s how to record a partial payment:
- Log in to ZipBooks and click on Invoices at the top of the screen.
- Find the invoice that you received a payment for and click on it.
- Click the green Add Payment button above the invoice. The Log Payment window will appear.
- Choose the bank account the payment went to in the Paid to Account field, enter the Amount of the payment, the Date, Payment Method, Reference # and any Notes that apply.
- Check the box to send your customer a receipt for this payment.
- Click the blue Save button.
If the amount you received was less than the amount due, you’ll see an orange label on the top left corner of the invoice that says “Partial,” and the amount still owing on the invoice will be reflected at the bottom. You’ll also be able to see the “Partial” label right from the invoice list, so that you know the status at a glance.